Discover small tricks that result in big movies.
SMALL BUDGET BIG MOVIE 6-PART VIDEO COURSE
1. THE PRODUCING PARTNER Finding the best producer when you're cash poor
2. SCREENWRITING Turning flat characters into real people
3. DIRECTING ACTORS Creating authenticity, tone and subtext
4. CAST & CREW Less money, more fun
5. PRODUCTION DESIGN Turning tiny-budget sets into a million bucks
6. THE EDIT Creating science fiction with a simple edit
Units include a short video, exercises, and additional resources. Course sent over 6 days.
Hello! My name is Ela Thier (pronounced Eláh Teer). In this course, I include clips from my feature film, Tomorrow Ever After (no plot spoilers!) and share some of my favorite tools to creating high-quality, micro-budget films.
I've created numerous shorts and features ranging in budgets, from $500 to $100K, that won major awards and critical acclaim. One thing that's clear to me is that while a budget can determine how many explosions and underwater scenes you get to have, it has no bearing on how creative, fresh, meaningful, or impactful a film can be. Most importantly, it doesn't determine the quality of the writing and performances, which are the foremost factors truly large films.
The film I highlight in this course is one that I wrote, directed, produced, edited, and performed in. Since most of us wear many hats when producing indie films, I address in this course each of these aspects of the work.
Since 2006, I've trained over two thousand screenwriters, directors, producers and actors. I learn every time I teach, so I'm always growing. I hope that at least some parts of this course will be useful to you!